At Empower, we are committed to:
- protecting the privacy of our customers, and
- complying with the Privacy Act and Australian Privacy Principles in collecting, using and disclosing personal information that we hold on behalf of our customers.
- what constitutes personal information
- why and how we collect, use and disclose personal information
- how we manage credit related information
- how we store personal information
- how you can access your personal information, and correct personal information if you believe it to be incorrect - how to make a complaint if you have a concern regarding our handling of your personal information
- how to contact us
All personal information is managed in accordance with our internal processes and procedures which ensures our compliance with the Privacy Act and Australian Privacy Principles.
What is ‘personal information’
Any information that we hold about you is classified as ‘personal information’ if:
- it clearly identifies you, or
- reasonably enables you to be identified by someone else.
Some common examples of personal information include:
- contact information, including your name, business name, phone number, postal address, email address or fax number,
- identifying information, including your name, driver’s licence number, copies of your driver’s licence, (or copies of other identification), Australian Business Number (ABN) and Australian Company Number (ACN),
- information about your electricity account, including your supply address(es), meter number, national meter identifier (NMI), billing information and usage history, and concession or rebate entitlements,
- financial information, including your direct debit details, credit card number(s), credit history, payment history, payment plan information (where relevant).
From time to time, we may also collect sensitive personal information. If we collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent and in accordance with applicable law.
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We need to access personal information so that we can perform our functions and duties as your agent or service provider . The personal information that we request from you (or in some cases, access from third parties) allows us to identify you and communicate with you, and to manage your energy account . You consent to us using your personal information in this manner, and from time to time, we may collect and use your personal information for other purposes other than the above, however we will advise of any such collection or use at the relevant time as required by applicable law.You can edit text on your website by double clicking on a text box on your website. Alternatively, when you select a text box a settings menu will appear. your website by double clicking on a text box on your website. Alternatively, when you select a text box
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, our customer. We also collect personal information via third parties, including:
- third party brokers and sales agents who have contacted you about our products and services
- your agent or representative, where you have authorised them to act on your behalf in providing us with your personal information
- your energy retailer
- credit reporting agencies (see credit related information below).
When we collect information from you, we may do so over the phone, in writing, in person, online (for example, through our website, or via email). Some information that we collect from you is then used to formulate internal information about you, for example, billing history, payment information and account information. This information is collected by us and stored in Empower’s internal systems.
How we use personal information
We may use your personal information to:
- understand your energy needs and provide you with the right energy savings products and services for you
- assess your creditworthiness
- contact you about your electricity account, and news, events and other services and products we offer
- comply with legal and regulatory obligations to various government bodies
- conduct internal research and analysis
- manage complaints and disputes raised by you
Disclosure of personal information
From time to time, we may also disclose your personal information. We will only disclose your personal information where you have authorised disclosure, or where disclosure is required for us to reasonably perform our functions and duties as an your agent or service provider . Disclosure of personal information only occurs:
- to third party channels or brokers, where you have provided your explicit consent for us to do so,
- to energy industry market participants, for example, distribution businesses, the Australian Energy Market Operator, or other retailers,
- in circumstances permitted by the Australian Privacy Principles,
- if required or authorised by law, or
- if the disclosure is made with your consent.
Occasionally, we may provide your personal information on a confidential basis to third parties engaged by us to assist our business in its core function of delivering energy products and services. These parties our bound by commercial confidentiality arrangements which safeguard against the improper use of personal information. These parties may include our contractors or third parties that provide products and services to us.
Where we store personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to protect personal information held within Empower. Personal information is stored within Empower:
- in our secure computer systems and networks
- in our customer management platform
- in hard copy (for example, if you sign a paper contract with us)
- in voice recordings (for example, if you agree to a contract with us over the phone)
At all times, personal information held by us is only accessible by Empower authorised staff, and in some cases, third party contractors engaged by Empower. We will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of your personal, credit-related personal information and other information or data collected by us.
Complaints and queries
If you believe that your personal information is not being treated in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles or Privacy Act, or you have a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information, please contact us on the details below.
If you are not satisfied with our response or our proposed resolution of your complaint, then you may lodge a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (for more information, please see www.oaic.gov.au).
Quality of personal information and corrections to personal information
Under the Privacy Act, you can obtain a copy of any personal information which we hold about you. We strive to ensure that your personal information is accurate, up-to-date and complete, particularly where we disclose personal information. If you have concerns that the information that we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us immediately so that we can correct the personal information.
This policy was last updated in December 2015. We may amend this policy from time to time.
Our contact details
Phone 1300 665 285
Fax 1300 881 903
Post Empower Solgen Pty Ltd T/A Empower, PO Box 311, Surrey Hills VIC 3127